So for the past few years eyelash extensions have become increasingly popular. From the beginning scare of formaldehyde in the glue, to girls thinking that the extensions will make your natural eyelashes stop growing in naturally, I’m sure that you’ve heard all about them. So after watching hours of horror stories and beauty vlogs on Youtube I decided to bite the bullet and get myself a set of eyelash extentions.
My inspiration for getting lashes was a trip that I was taking to Vegas in early March where I knew that I wasn’t going to want to do my eye makeup everyday and then every night for when we went out.
A set of eyelash extensions can cost anywhere from $75-$300+ depending on what salon it is that you go to. After all of my research and own personal experience here’s my list of tips for anyone interested in getting their own first set. Keep in mind that the price of the eyelash set will reflect the quality of work… mine cost around $250.
- Be prepared to have someone touch your eyes! (I have always been scared of my eyes being touched so make sure that you are ok with a beautician touching your lashes)
- Your first set will take anywhere from 1-2 hrs depending on what style lashes it is that you pick. You’ll be laying with your eyes closed for this amount of time.
- Ask to see your beautician’s portfolio first before you book your appointment (nobody wants to go in for their first set and find out that they are their eyelash artists first client!)
- Show up to your appointment makeup free, fresh faced and comfortably dressed.
- There are tons of different eyelash extension options so make sure that you know what it is that your salon offers and have an idea of what you want when you go in (your eyelash artist will do a consultation with you before they get started to make sure that you are both on the same page)
- Be ready to tip your beautician on top of the service costs.. just like getting a tattoo you need to tip them well if you want them to do a great job. For a full set they usually get tipped anywhere from $20-40.
- Ask about after care! You need to make sure that all of your eye makeup and removers are oil free. Oil will make your eyelashes last for a shorter amount of time. Eyelash extensions need to be cleaned everyday and brushed multiple times a day.
Here is what my extensions looked like right after my appointment (I have 100% NO MAKEUP ON HERE!)
I have naturally blonde hair, so my eyelashes are virtually non-visible without mascara. I asked my beautician what would be best for my lower lashes- if tinting would be an option? She told me to just go get the one mascara that we’ve all owned at some point in our pre-teen makeup learning experience… Maybelline’s Great Lash Mascara. It’s water based and THEE BEST for extensions. It takes literally 1.5 seconds to sweep on your lower lashes and you’re done.
After 3 weeks, 1 vacation to Vegas and a whole lot of different looks in those 21 days my eyelashes have held up phenomenally. Better than I had expected because I had been told every 2-4 weeks you would need a fill (fills cost about $60-80 depending on how many lashes it is that you’ve lost). Here is what my lashes look like now… (again I have absolutely no makeup on here)
Over all I am completely in love with my lashes and I will continue to get them filled for the foreseeable future. After anticipating the worst from all the crazy Youtube videos and getting my set the day before my Vegas trip, having absolutely no idea what I was doing or how to take care of them I am pleasantly surprised. I recommend it for anyone looking to shorten up their daily routine while still looking natural!
Girls it’s the easiest way to step up your natural glam look and simplify your life!
Stay true to your own personal style and stay beautiful lovies!!
Miss Hailey Christine